Jo R.
North House
Topic: PTSD
Essential Question: What is the most effective way to treat PTSD?

Monday, April 30, 2012

Independent Component 2


 Click here for my log.
Literal
I, Jo, confirm that I have completed my Independent Component which represents 30 hours of work.
I have learned, as well as been an advocate for Denim Day. Through this I have been able to see how often traumatic events can occur. I have acquired knowledge that I can pass down to my friends and family to keep them aware of what is truly going on.
Interpretive
By teaching people about sexual abuse, we have been able to make it less shameful for those who have experienced it. Most of the stigmas are created by ignorance. The idea that all victims are male, or that victims are to blame in any way is simply absurd, but are disturbingly common. I spent a great deal of time talking to my mother about the subject. She was raised in a small town in Mexico where many parents would disown, or even go as far as selling, their daughters if their virginity were ever in question. She still feels as though victims are to be held responsible for sexual assaults, though she knows it's not right, it's the idea that was implanted in her mind when she was just a child. This is exactly what we are combating, and it wasn't until I started getting involved that I realized it was going on in my own home.
By becoming an advocate, I found that I needed to learn more. Do more research on what we think is true, and what actually is true. Sometimes, you won't believe what you'll find. For example, the statistics that show that 84% of those raped knew their attacker, and 57% of the rapes happened on dates seem extreme, made-up even, but they aren't. That's why people need to be made aware. For more facts and myths click here.
Applied
Overall, this helped me answer my EQ by allowing me to take time to research sexual abuse stories, and how the legal system works with victims. This gave me a better idea of what to expect with someone who has been through that process. It has also help me get an idea of how preventing PTSD should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment